How to hitchhike safely and effectively - practical tips. Everything you need to know before you go on a hitchhiking trip.
Trip to Egypt- see what to pack!
- Travel information
- List of things to pack
- Documents & Visa
- Hand luggage
- How much money take with you
- Safety tips
- Coral reefs and beaches
Are you planning to go on holiday to Egypt? It’s a beautiful, sunny country that impresses loads of travellers with its unique landscapes, amazing architecture and breathtaking coral reefs. To make your trip go smoothly we’ve prepared a cross-section guide for you, in which you will learn what to pack and what to remember before leaving!
LIST OF THINGS TO PACK
- Identity card
- Payment card
- House keys
- Hotel booking confirmation
- Plane tickets
- Travel insurance
- Pants x10
- Clothes to sleep in / pyjamas
- Bikini / swimming suit
- Bra x3
- Socks x6
- Comfortable shoes
- Water shoes
- T-Shirt x7
- Leggins x2
- Dress x3
- Shorts x3
- Shower gel
- Hair conditioner
- Sun protective cream
- Face cream
- After-sun cream
- Eye cream
- Lipstick / lip balm
- Body lotion
FIRST AID KIT
- Birth control
- Prescription and chronic diseases drugs
- Pain killers
- Sore throat medicine
- Vitamin C
- Skin burn medicine
- Activated charcoal
- Travel pillow
- Large suitcase
- Phone charger
- Beach towel
- Glasses case
- Luggage tag
- Antivirus mask
- Snorkelling mask
- Sleeping mask
- Beach bag
- Selfie stick
- Portable speaker
- Small handy backpack
- Waterproof mobile case
- Lint roller
EGYPT - GUIDE
What should you know before traveling to Egypt?
Before traveling to Egypt, it’s worth making sure that we took care of all formalities in advance. Of course, we need a passport - but in addition, the main questions of the travellers are about visas, currency and the necessary vaccinations.
Visa to Egypt
Many people wonder how to apply for a visa to Egypt safely and quickly. However, there is no need to do this before you go - unlike, for example, going to Turkey. It is possible to obtain a visa online, but it is not considered a safe and recommended option. It is much better to simply apply for a visa after landing in Egypt at the airport.
- What will we need? Passport is valid for a minimum of 180 days. A visa requirement is also possession of insurance.
- Warning! Usually, your basic insurance from your country does not apply because Egypt is not a European country.
- The price of a single tourist visa to Egypt is $25.
How about the currency? The currency in Egypt is the Egyptian pound. Despite this, in tourist resorts, there is usually no problem with paying both in dollars and euros.
- From our experience, however, we can say that it is not profitable - the worst conversion rate has the euro, but paying in dollars is also a bad idea. We’ll notice a particularly big difference when buying cheaper products - food in stores, meals in restaurants, water.
- Let’s remember that local exchange offices may have very poor rates, so it’s better to exchange currency in your country after checking the exchange rate.
There are no mandatory vaccinations before traveling to Egypt. However, there are recommended ones, and we definitely recommend them before departure.
- The most important are vaccines for diphtheria, tetanus, polio and BTP vaccinations.
- When packing your hand luggage into Egypt, remember to keep your passport and visa money in an easily accessible place that protects against pickpockets.
- Despite the fact that Egypt is a very warm country, we can freeze at the airport and on the plane, so it is worth having a scarf or sweatshirt when traveling. A phone charger may also be useful.
- In addition to the usual things that we always pack in hand luggage, remember the additional little things that we must necessarily carry with us for safety when traveling during the epidemic of coronavirus.
- We need a face mask, and preferably two for a change. We also need to have antibacterial gel, cleansing wipes and gloves. Remember to wash your hands frequently and thoroughly and disinfect the products you buy at the airport.
How much money take on your trip
Egypt is not a very expensive country. One can say that prices are quite similar to those we are used to in larger, eastern european cities.
- The price of a meal in a restaurant is about EUR 8. We will pay about EUR 0.25 for a bottle of water. Beer in a local restaurant will cost us about EUR 2, and for a taxi we will pay about EUR 0.5 of the entry fee and EUR 0.2 for each kilometer.
- As for the prices of attractions - they are also not excessive. Entrance to the pyramids costs about EUR 12, and entry to the pyramids - about 25.
- Diving, which is one of the most interesting attractions in Egypt, can be booked for as little as EUR 25.
- It is worth knowing that renting a car for one day costs from EUR 15.
First aid kit
Unfortunately, in addition to the beautiful views, picturesque coral reefs and tropical pyramids that await us after arriving in Egypt, we can also experience... The so-called "Montezuma's revenge". This is nothing but simply unpleasant stomach discomfort that many tourists complain about. Even every second traveler faces a painful and troublesome food poisoning. The cause of it is local bacteria, different from the bacterial flora of Europeans.
Protection against "Montezuma's revenge"
How to protect yourself? Even before leaving, you can buy medicines that significantly alleviate the course of the disease.
- Only drink bottled water when traveling.
- Thoroughly wash local vegetables and fruits with mineral water.
- Fried, grilled and otherwise heat treated foods are considered the safest.
Another threat that awaits us in Egypt is the sharp, midday sun. In our latitude, we are not used to such radiation, so even a one-time outside without a sufficiently strong sunblock (we recommend SPH 50) can end up in severe burns.
- Bring a soothing panthenol cream in case of sunburn.
- You should also remember to protect your head - being in the tropical sun for too long may cause a stroke.
Danger of coral reefs
A threat many tourists don't know about are the scratches and bruises that we can experience when diving at a coral reef. Let's remember to bring disinfectants, patches and bandages in the first aid kit.
A trip to the beach
When travelling to Egypt you must take a walk to the beautiful, sunny, sandy beaches. However, the Egyptian sun can be a big threat really quickly. Therefore, when packing a beach bag, remember everything that will make our exit not only pleasant, but also safe.
- The luggage must contain a cream with a high SPF filter.
- Bring a hat and sunglasses.
- Of course, it is also worth to pack a comfortable swimsuit, walking shoes and beach towels - large, to sit on, and a second, to wipe the body.
- In the sharp midday sun we won't comfortably use the screen of the phone or tablet, so it's worth taking a book, crosswords or e-book reader with an e-ink screen.
Many hours of sunshine and salty, sea water can be a real challenge for our skin and hair. After a few days without proper moisturizing and nutritional care, we can struggle with dry epidermis and faded hair.
- When packing the hand bag with cosmetics for our trip to Egypt, in addition to obvious products such as shower gel, shampoo or toothpaste, pack proper cosmetics.
- Creams with a high filter as well as protective hair sprays with an SPF are a must.
- Bring face cream, moisturizing lotion and sunburn cream. Thanks to this, you will enjoy a beautiful, healthy tan many weeks after returning from departure.
Other additional accessories
- If you don't like hot weather - bring a fan or a small face fan with batteries.
- If you plan to try snorkelling during your stay in Egypt - you can also pack a mask, snorkel and your own fins.
- Egypt is known for its extremely beautiful, unique landscapes. Bring a good camera, spare SD cards and rechargeable batteries to capture their charm.
- It is also worth getting a camera for recording underwater - Egypt offers a unique opportunity to experience the tropical reef among turquoise, warm waters.
Egypt is a fascinating and very popular travel destination. Appropriate preparation for the trip will save you a lot of stress and nerves, and also protect you from any unpleasant surprises. Traveling to Egypt is not too expensive, does not require long preparation, and offers some extraordinary experiences, beautiful landscapes and unique monuments. So…now it’s just about booking a flight and accommodation, downloading the MyLuggage application and after creating a personalized packing list - getting ready to leave!
2 June 2020